A quick follow up to the Midleton House post.

view of Holy Rosary Church with part of Midleton House, The Rock, and the Roxborough or Dungourney River in the foreground. This photo dates from after 1908, the year the church spire was completed. Note the extensive and elaborate gardens. (National Library of Ireland.)

View of Holy Rosary Church with part of Midleton House, The Rock, and the Roxborough or Dungourney River in the foreground. This photo dates from after 1908, the year the church spire was completed. The photo appears to have been taken on a summer evening, for the shadows are cast from the west. The camera was positioned on Lewis Bridge. Note the extensive and elaborate gardens to the side and behind Midleton House. (Eason Photographic Collection, National Library of Ireland.)

As you know our last post examined the history of the name Midleton House associated with two different houses, each on opposite banks of the Roxborough or Dungourney River in Midleton.  The National Library of Ireland has a lovely early twentieth century image showing part of Midleton House , The Rock. What is of note is not just the dominant position of the newly built Holy Rosary Church (spire completed in 1908) but the fine gardens around the house. Today there are a lot more large trees around the house.

Advertisements